iPads have a great mapping feature called Maps. It allows you to get turn by turn driving or walking directions. In its infancy, this app was not up-to- par with Google Maps, but with the release of iOS 8, it is now a shining star among GPS maps in the industry. Included in the new release of Maps and iOS 8 is a feature called flyover. When searching select cities using Maps, you now have the ability to tour that specific city. Let’s walk through how to perform this new feature.
Note: You must be on iOS 8 in order to take advantage of this functionality. Tap | Settings | General|Software Update. It typically takes under 30 minutes to update and you must be connected to wireless to perform the update; it will not work when attached to cellular or LTE.
Now that you have upgraded your iPad to iOS 8, perform the following:
- Power on your iPad. If a passcode is required, please enter it.
- Tap Maps.
- Search for a city in the search bar. Examples include Rome, Paris and/or New York City.
- Tap Start Flyover. A beautiful perfectly rendered tour of the city begins. It provides detail and gives you insight into the city you maybe interested in visiting soon.
- Tap End Flyover Tour if you are done with the tour. Most tours are about 3 minutes in length.
- Repeat this process to start another tour.
If you are using an unsupported iPad or you want to benefit from the technology improvement from the first released iPad, please contact us and test drive a new iPad today.